105 Plus/Fat Bride/Groom - Meet Nadine & Steven

Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Wedding Wednesday post where every Wednesday you get to find out a little more about the couples that shared their photos for the 105 Plus/Fat Bride/Groom Photos post HERE or the Youtube video HERE

I will also be doing more Budget Bridal posts. You can see previous posts HERE 

------------------------------------

Nadine & Steven
Sydney, Australia

Where did you meet your Bride/Groom?

Steven and I met through mutual friends. At the time my best friend was dating his best friend and we had a crazy fun friendship while our friends dated. I was smitten at first sight, however we remained friends as the timing was wrong. It wasn't until 8 years later friendship turned into love for both of us.



When did you get married and where?

We got married August 31st, 2013 after being together for 2 years. We chose to have our wedding in the Hunter Valley of New South Wales (NSW).
We choose this location as it was special to us both, and we both love wine. 
It was a destination wedding location as our families including us had to travel some distance to the  location.


What dress/suit size were you when you got married? (only answer if you want to)

I was standard size 16/18 or a plus size 14 on my wedding day


What was your experience of finding a dress/suit?

My experience was somewhat stressful. I was the last of four daughters to get married, and having previously been part of the bridal party for all my sisters' weddings I remembered the process that was the search for the one dress. I should further mention here that all my sisters were all smaller then me. I remember my curvier sister being squeezed into size 8 sample dresses when she clearly was a healthy 12/14. Being a bit heavier the thought of this drove my anxiety higher.
My search began online, where I searched through hundreds of pages and designers for wedding dress inspiration, I was shocked to find very little real life brides and nearly all the dresses I loved on very small framed models. 
Weeks and months went by and I was too nervous to even find a physical store to try a dress. It was when I was flicking through a a bridal magazine I noticed a plus size model for a plus size range of dresses called Glamour Plus. I immediately went back online and found the only plus size specific store in NSW that stocked this range and to my surprise other plus size exclusive designers. With the name curvaceous bridal I made an appointment for January 7 months before the wedding.



The store itself was lavish and made me feel special. They had me and my guests (mum and sister) wear cotton gloves to touch and select which dresses I wanted to try on. I also had specific instructions to wear neutral coloured underwear and no makeup. The dress store started at a size 14 right up to a 28. The first dress which caught my eye was also the same dress that my mum and sister first went to. This turned out to be my dress in the end, I just thought it funny that we all picked that dress as the first one. I ended up picking three styles of dresses to find out which cut best suit me. All the dresses were cut for larger busts/hips and all I tried on fit or were even too big. I was happy. I tried the first dress one and it fit perfectly, a simple a-line strapless made from french lace and a corset back and sash waist band. It look like it was made for me. I thought I can't buy the first dress I try on so I proceeded to try my other two choices. The second was a fit and flare style with a crossover ruched bust. The third was a trumpet style with delicate beaded sleeves and button down back. I had two favourites, but my mum and sister were adamant that the first dress was the one. It was when I asked some questions I was told by the store that I had left it very late as each dress took 6-8 months to be made and sent and I would have to order today (as they only ordered once a month) if I wanted this dress before the wedding. This made me feel a little pushed into buying a dress that day, however, I paid my 50% deposit and waited nervously for my beautiful dress to arrive.


Describe your day.

My wedding day was the happiest day of my life. It was filled with so many emotions and I was so grateful to share the day with all our family and friends. I feel our day was a reflection of us and celebrated our personalities. 
Our theme was romantic gothic; a mix of traditional and non-traditional dark ascents, combining an ivory, black and deep red colour scheme. 
We had a traditional based ceremony in a small chapel with my addition of a hand fasting ceremony included. Followed by a reception in a wine country hotel function room where we skipped the traditional decorations. We wanted to create a dark magical place so we choose; black table cloths and chair covers, center pieces holding floating candles and deep red flowers. We also had black roof draping with fairy lights. 
We choose music to reflect our geeky sides including the theme of game of thrones for our entrance song and we cut our cake to Hedwigs theme from Harry Potter. Our first dance song was even from German symphonic metal band.


Anything else you would like to add.

If I had my day again I wouldn't change a thing.




You Might Also Like

0 comments

Follow me on Facebook

Twitter Feed