105 Plus/Fat Bride/Groom - Meet Laura & Richard

Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Wedding Wednesday post where every Wednesday you get to find out a little more about the couples that shared their photos for the 105 Plus/Fat Bride/Groom Photos post HERE or the Youtube video HERE

I will also be doing more Budget Bridal posts. You can see previous posts HERE 

------------------------------------
Laura & Richard
Houston, Texas, USA

Where did you meet your Bride/Groom?


We met online on the OKCupid dating site in 2010. I was about to quit the site completely because of having so many awful dates! But I saw his profile matched with mine, and he was wearing a bow tie in his photo, so I decided to message him. I'm so glad I did, because when we met we fell in love immediately. We were living together within 2 months, engage within 4 months, and married a year later!


When did you get married and where?


We got married at the end of October in 2011. We had wanted a Halloween wedding, but it didn't fall on a weekend so we set the date just a couple days before. The ceremony and reception was in my parent's backyard so we had complete control over lighting, decoration, and everything else. We both wanted a casual wedding with good energy and an easy feel. I think it was wonderful!


What dress/suit size were you when you got married? (only answer if you want to)

My mom and I made my dress, so it didn't have a specific size. At the time I was wearing a 26/28 for the most part. 



What was your experience of finding a dress/suit?

I never actually went to try on wedding dresses, because I knew from the start that I wanted to make my dress with my mom. I have had some experience in a few bridal stores, and had never seen many things in my size. The sizing is so crazy at bridal stores! I have tried on bridesmaid dresses in a 26 that fit like a 22! Luckily I didn't have to deal with that since I went in a diy direction. I designed the fabric on Spoonflower.com and we created my dress based on the design of my favourite sundress. It was perfect for the vibe of our wedding. 


Describe your day.


My husband and I woke up at home and went to have breakfast at our favourite Mexican breakfast cafe, and then we headed to our hotel for the night to drop our suitcases off. We went home and hung out together getting the house ready for our house sitter, and then we got dressed. Our wonderful photographer came over to the house to take some photos. Since we didn't have bridesmaids or groomsmen to take 'getting ready' photos with, our pre-wedding shots are couple photos and some with our dog! We headed over to my parent's house for the wedding and mingled with guests before finally getting to walk down the aisle. It was sunset, in the backyard, with the magical twinkle lights coming on, and all our favourite people around us. After the ceremony we had a vegan Mexican food buffet, a cupcake bar, and a keg of St. Arnold's beer. Like I said, perfect :)


Anything else you want to add.

For any fat folks getting married, just don't let people tell you what you can and can't do. You deserve to have the event you envision, and if that means breaking "the rules" that's fine. Wear what you want. Say what you want. Make your wedding exactly what you want. If I had listened to some people I would have gotten married in a potato sack, grown out my hair to hide my double chin, only taken pictures from a few specific 'flattering' angles, and who knows what else!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Follow me on Facebook

Twitter Feed